2014 was a crazy. Tommy and I moved into a our first home, planned our wedding and got married. I spent the entire year in physical therapy, had two rounds of cortisone shots, an MRI and finally two back-to-back knee surgeries. In the midst of all the craziness we made new friends, hosted a few really fun parties (New Year’s, Tommy’s birthday, the World Cup, Halloween) and got even closer to the friends we already had. Burlington started to feel like our home and I started to feel like I finally had really good friends here.
Even with the changes and challenges, it was by far one of my favorite years to date. I absolutely loved it and it’ll always hold a very special place in my heart. That said, I’m incredibly excited for the fresh start of 2015. My knees are finally getting to a place where I’ll be able to start exercising, I’m starting a new job the beginning of February (more on that soon) and I have a few fun trips and weddings to look forward to throughout the year.
Without further ado, my goals and resolutions for 2015:
1. Start running again – my goal is to continue healing my knees and building up the strength to start running again. My ultimate goal is to run the Falmouth Road Race this August (if I’m able to get a bib in the lottery).
2. Take a big trip – with my knees on the mend, Tommy and I can finally go on our honeymoon trip. Our original itinerary included London, Cornwall, Paris, Fussen and Munich. We can book the same trip again or use our airline credit to go anywhere else should we choose something different. We have a few ideas on the table, one being our original trip, and we’ll decide over the next few months what we ultimately want to do.
3. Read more – I’ve had reading on my resolution list for the last few years but I slacked off a bit in 2014. My goal for 2015 is 24 books in 12 months.
4. Talk to my siblings more – I’m very close to my sister and brother, but we’re not the best at keeping in touch. Whenever we’re together it’s a blast and if one of us ever needs anything the others are always there to help but we’re don’t do day to day communication well. My goal is to check in with each of them on a weekly basis – even if it’s just a quick text.
5. Let go of the things that I cannot control – I can be high strung and tend to get hung up on things that I can’t control. This year I’m going to try to let go of the things that bring me down and focus on what I can control. My goal is to let go of unnecessary stress so that I can be a more positive force for myself and those around me.
6. Save money each month – now that our wedding is over it’s time for me to start building my savings again. My goal is to put something away each month – even if some months it’s not as much as others.
7. Recommit to my healthy, active lifestyle – I know what I should be doing to eat healthy and stay active, but I’ve struggled over the last few months while I’ve been unable to exercise. It’s time for me to clean up my diet and scale back on my sugar intake. I think the reintroduction of exercise will be the motivation I need.
8. Live in the moment – there are so many exciting things happening in my life right now and I want to take the time to soak it all up. I’m newly married to my best friend, my family is (as always) by my side supporting me and I have the best friends a girl could ask for. My goal is to take time to appreciate how fortunate I am and enjoy every moment.
What are you looking forward to in 2015? What are your New Year’s resolutions?